Thursday, January 10, 2013

Arrow Art DIY

For over a year there has been a very awkward empty wall in my bathroom, and I couldn't think of anything I was willing to put there. If I put a picture the frame could get ruined by the heat, or a favorite painting could have water damage from the shower, I kept coming up with excuses until I came back from Christmas break and couldn't look at the emptiness any longer. And here is my solution to many a problem, make it myself!
Needed: Canvas, An old book you don't mind tearing out pages in, modge podge, large and small paintbrushes, and paint
1. Cut out a page from your book and tear it into different size sections. I used all pages from the "A" section of my encyclopedia because I'm drawing an arrow, not that anyone will notice but it's the small details that I love.
2. Modge podge your heart out. I was using a canvas that I had previously painted on so for mine to be covered it took about three pages. I had never used modge podge before, and especially because I made it myself I was a little nervous how it would turn out but it was completely fine. I'm not sure if this is standard modge podge procedure or not but I found that if I put a layer down before and after I placed my paper it adhered much better and didn't bubble.
3. Let your background completely dry and then start painting!
4. A possible extra step if you're like me and don't have a hook on the back is to attach one or find a way to attach your art to the wall. I chose to make a sort of ledge out of two nails and one above to prevent it from falling. I like that it gave a slight mechanical finish to the project.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, you truly make my day :)